Thursday, July 21, 2011

Turkey Meatballs with Bowtie Pasta

Curtis' favorite food is his Mom's spaghetti and meatballs! In our 10 years of marriage, he has given me props that I have finally almost gotten the hang of it.  I make this for birthdays, anniversary, Father's Day, any time a special dinner for my man is warranted.

No reason to mess with perfection, but tonight I made a variation of our traditional beefy meatballs and spaghetti, and it turned out so great I decided to share it with ya'll. (Incidentally, if you would rather use beef, the recipe is exactly the same.)

Can you dig it?
TURKEY MEATBALLS with BOWTIE PASTA

Meatballs:
1.5 lbs ground turkey (my first time cooking with ground turkey, and it was a smashing success!!!)
1/4 cup bread crumbs (I like Italian variety, but any kind will do, or some crushed up crackers or crusty bread... you get it!)
1 egg
Splash of milk (maybe 1/8 cup)
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan (fresh would be awesome, but I shook mine right out of the green can)
1 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper (to taste)

1 Tbsp. olive oil (for cooking meatballs)

2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar

1 lb. Farfalle pasta (bowties)
Salt

Mix all meatball ingredients with your hands, just until well combined.  Mixing too much will make tough meatballs. Roll into walnut-sized balls.  Heat olive oil in a pan.  Cook meatballs until nicely browned (turning to evenly cook.)  Drain meatballs and place in a casserole dish.  Cover with two jars or spaghetti sauce.  If you make your own, go ahead and use that, but I haven't been able to make any that tastes any better than my "doctored" version of Ragu or Hunt's.  Sprinkle brown sugar on top of sauce and stir in to combine.  Bake meatballs and sauce for 30 - 45 minutes in 350 degree oven.  The longer you bake it together the more the meatballs take on the saucey taste and become even yummier!

Prepare pasta according to package directions.  Make sure you salt your pasta water.  Makes a HUGE difference in the yumminess of your pasta!

Nothing beats good ole red meat, but these turkey meatballs aren't bad for a slightly healthier choice!  I dare say my family might not have known the difference if I hadn't made such a big deal out of how fancy I was for buying turkey.  LOL!

Serve this up with some garlic bread and you have got yourself an Italian feast!  Mama Mia! :)    Let me know if you make this and how yours turn out.  Ya'll enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious, I'm not a big turkey eater, but I've been trying to eat healthier. I hope to try your recipe soon. Thanks Lori!

Sincerely, Tangela Gunn