Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Cooking

I have been cooking up a storm this week getting ready for Christmas. I have made cinnamon rolls that turned out SO GREAT!!! (Dumb me, I forgot to get a picture before we got them all passed out.) The recipe made 8 pans. Two are in my freezer for Christmas morning and the other six have been delivered to some of our Church family. I have never been much of a baker, but these turned out so good they will probably become a tradition for me. Kudos to the Pioneer Woman for the AWESOME (and easy to follow) recipe!

I got the idea for these little babies from My Messy, Thrilling Life, a new blog I stumbled across while looking for a recipe for Crock pot Candy. What a cute, fun blog she has!!! Yes, you read that right: this is called Crock pot Candy. It couldn't be easier or more delish. I changed up the recipe a little to fit what I had. Here is how mine went down:

Lori's Crock Pot Candy

3/4 of a 12 oz. can of unsalted peanuts (because that is all I had in the can)
1 bag of milk chocolate chips
About 4 blocks of chocolate candy coating (because it was left over from something else I made)
1 bag of butterscotch chips
1 bag of white chocolate chips
Half a package of white candy coating (again, leftover)

Layer all of this in your crock pot (in the order listed - the nuts being on the bottom gives them a wonderful roasted taste!) Turn your crock pot on low, put the lid on it and leave it for 2 hours. Now, this was HARD for me because I am a stirrer. But the recipe I read said just leave it, so I did. After two hours stir it all together. I found great pleasure in this step. Watching all of the different colored chips meld together was quite satisfying for this stirrer. Turn off the crock pot and let it cool for about 10 minutes; then drop by heaping spoonfuls on waxed paper. This made about 75 pieces.

The recipes I read called for more nuts but I like how mine turned out. I do not see how you could mess this up. Please try it!!! My mother-in-law is having a candy swap at her house for Christmas so I hope they all like these little jewels as much as I do!!!

Here's the only part of Christmas cooking that I dislike... Off to do the dishes.
What are you cooking for Christmas?


No comments: