Friday, March 13, 2009

Never Forgotten


(From my Upper Room Devotional today)

The Lord says, "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands." -Isaiah 49:16 (NIV)

My rambunctious three-year-old daughter had been playing with her collection of rubber stamps. One of her favorites is a small, heart-shaped stamp. While I was busy with my work, she sneaked up behind me, grabbed my hand, and stamped my palm. Any protest I might have uttered was swept away when she looked at me adoringly and said, "I love you, Daddy." I went back to my work and soon forgot all about the incident.

The next morning, as I prepared to go to work, I turned my hand over and noticed the heart-shaped stamp. I immediately recalled my daughter's act of love the previous night, and I found myself deeply touched.

The Bible tells us that we are "engraved on the palms" of God's hands. This tells us that God will neither forsake nor forget us. What a wonderful promise that is! When we feel down or lost, we may be tempted to think God has forgotten us. God hasn't - and the Bible gives us that assurance.

by: Daniel C.M. Tan (Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia)

No comments: